From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAS: keyboard stops working] Recent kernels block the loading of non-GPL kernel modules
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 12:00:20
1 On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 11:22 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > "Uploading is copying. Downloading is also copying. Unauthorized copying
4 > is an unauthorized use that is governed by the copyright laws.
5 > Therefore, unauthorized uploading and unauthorized downloading are
6 > unauthorized uses governed by the copyright laws...."
7 >
8 > http://cases.justia.com/ohio/supreme-court-of-ohio/1998-ohio-422.pdf?ts=1396139663
9
10 The party in this case was also uploading files, and it seems to me
11 that the mention of downloading was made in conjunction with him being
12 the uploader. The downloading side of this argument was never really
13 litigated on its own since it would be moot to the infringement claim
14 since the party was also uploading.
15
16 I'd be more interested in a case where a court holds a party liable
17 for copyright infringement when the ONLY activity they took part in
18 was downloading a copyrighted work. I've yet to hear of a copyright
19 holder even pursing such a case.
22 Rich