From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] prelink on AMD64 with no "--conserve-memory"
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:49:24
1 On Dienstag, 26. August 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > (I originally posted this on gmane.linux.gentoo.amd64, but even though
3 > GMane authorized me to post there, my posts don't get through. So I'm
4 > reposting it here.)
5 >
6 > Usually, when prelinking a system, it's recommended to use prelink's
7 > "-m" (or "--conserve-memory") option:
8 >
9 > When assigning addresses to libraries, allow overlap of
10 > address space slots provided that the two libraries are
11 > not present together in any of the binaries or libraries.
12 > This results in a smaller virtual address space range used
13 > for libraries. On the other hand, if prelink sees a
14 > binary during incremental prelinking which puts together
15 > two libraries which were not present together in any other
16 > binary and were given the same virtual address space slots,
17 > then the binary cannot be prelinked. Without this option,
18 > each library is assigned a unique virtual address space
19 > slot.
20 >
21 > But on AMD64, virtual address space is virtually unlimited (or at least
22 > "very huge"). Are there any drawbacks in not using "-m" on AMD64?
23
24 I have nerver used -m on amd64 and so far haven't suffered from problems.