From: Flophouse Joe <flophousejoe-gentoo-user-xdzvne@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Accidentally deleted contents of /sbin
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:47:48
1 On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, James Colby wrote:
2
3 > I was trying to delete some files from my /sbin directory and with an
4 > unfortunate use of a wildcard accidentally deleted the entire contents
5 > on the /sbin directory. I have recovered the contents of the /sbin
6 > directory from a stage 3 tarball. I was thinking about doing an
7 > emerge world, just to make sure that everything is consistent. Do you
8 > all think that this is necessary?
9
10 Yes, I think an "emerge --deep --emptytree world" would be in order.
11
12 If you had a recent backup of your system-- new enough that no new
13 packages had been emerged since the backup was taken-- then restoring
14 the backup would be the easiest option.
15
16 In this case, though, it seems like a reasonable tradeoff to wait for
17 all your packages to recompile in order to be more confident that your
18 system won't blow up on you.
19
20 Joe
21 --