From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dhclient and buggy ISP
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 22:41:34
1 On Friday, 20 July 2018 08:58:53 BST Matti Nykyri wrote:
2 > Hey
3 >
4 > I have a following with Telia ISP and their dhcp-server... I'm using
5 > dhclient to get dynamic IP from ISP and also to update DDNS. When
6 > dhclient does DHCPDISCOVER the ISP will issue a new lease for 43200 sec
7 > after a normal DHCPOFFER, DHCPREQUEST and DHCPACK cycle; and the
8 > interface gets bound to the given address. Now when the dhclient does a
9 > subsequent DHCPREQUEST, server will issue DHCP with a declining
10 > lease-time ending at the same time as original 43200s lease. By
11 > releasing the lease and doing a new DHCPDISCOVER the lease time is reset
12 > to 43200s. The ISP how ever keeps track of the MAC and will always issue
13 > the same IP.
14 >
15 > When the lease-time of 43200 runs out the default gw stops responding
16 > and the internet connection dies. The only way to then get it to work is
17 > to manually start a new discover cycle (ifdown - ifup).
18 >
19 > I would like to configure the interface so, that there would not be an
20 > interuption in network traffic! Because the IP doesn't change, I would
21 > like to configure the WAN interface to stay up with the IP all the time
22 > and get dhclient to do DHCPDISCOVER to the ISP to update ISP-firewall to
23 > let the traffic through for the next 43200 sec. If the IP changes for
24 > some reason, I would like the dhclient to update the WAN interface.
25 >
26 > Would there be a ready way in Gentoo to achieve this? Or anyway :'D
27 >
28 > Ps. I hate my ISP :(
29 > Pps. I have other problems too...
32 I am not familiar with dhclient, although whenever I used it in various
33 distros it just worked. Have you tried using dhcpcd instead?
34 --
35 Regards,
36 Mick