From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2007.0 CD - 2008.0 install
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 20:05:40
1 On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote:
2 > On Friday 02 May 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Friday 02 May 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > > Before I waste a lot of time I just noticed that I'm using a
5 > > > 2007.0 install CD but downloading and setting up a 2008.0 beta2
6 > > > system. Is there any problem building the 2008.0 system files
7 > > > using whatever I get when I chroot into the new installation?
8 > > >
9 > > > At this moment I'm doing the tar xjf portage-latest step and
10 > > > noticed the inconsistency. Apparently all the 2007.0 snapshots,
11 > > > etc., are now gone from the servers.
12 > >
13 > > There shouldn't be a problem. Aside from the fact that a LiveCD is
14 > > quite a complex thing, as far as installation goes it's sole
15 > > purpose is to provide an environment where you can unpack a stage3
16 > > and chroot into it.
17 > >
18 > > When you have chrooted, you are essentially in a self-contained
19 > > environment and all that is left of the original environment is the
20 > > kernel it provides.
21 >
22 > Well, plus all running services/daemons unless you take them down
23 > after chrooting and bring them up again within the chroot.
24 >
25 > This can be a life saver. I have my portage tree on box A while box B
26 > NFS mounts it. At one stage, NFS versions of A and B got so out of
27 > sync, B couldn't NFS mount /usr/portage any more. A LiveCD with an
28 > NFS version matching (well, at least fitting) the one on box A was my
29 > path to salvation. ;-)
32 > > The build system is provided entirely by the
33 > > chroot and nothing in user space can come from or be influenced by
34 > > what's outside it (this is the entire point of chroot).
35 >
36 > This, of course, is absolutely true.
37 >
38 > Uwe
41 Thanks guys. I've finished the install and attempted to boot. My first
42 kernel failed at some point I've not run into before complaining about
43 IO_APIC vectors. I'm searching around in Google for what might have
44 caused that and building a new kernel in parallel.
45
46 The good sign is the machine is starting to show some life. I need to
47 put the dual boot stuff in grub.conf and make sure Windows is still
48 booting, and then get this kernel issue worked out.
49
50 Thanks for all your inputs today.
51
52 Cheers,