From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't find init due to inconsistent drive order
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 17:47:18
1 On 2013-07-02, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:57:26 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> IOW, it appears that the "blkid" program is either just making stuff
5 >> up or its the filesystem UUID rather than the partition UUID. I
6 >> suspect the latter, since I notice that blkid doesn't print a UUID for
7 >> paritions that don't have filesystems.
8 >
9 > UUIDs are for filesystems, PARTUUIDs ae for partitions - blkid prints
10 > both, but only if both are present, which requires a GPT partition table.
11
12 I found some references to blkid at one time generating PARTUUID
13 values for MBR partitions, but that feature got removed.
16 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! How's the wife?
17 at Is she at home enjoying
18 gmail.com capitalism?