From: "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev, cryptsetup, and ensuing problems
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:33:49
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 24 June 2009 15:47:44 John P. Burkett wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On Wednesday 24 June 2009 02:39:33 John P. Burkett wrote:
5 >>>> At that point I had the impression that the machine was not up-to-date
6 >>>> but nonetheless functional. However, the next morning I noticed that
7 >>>> the computer would not print to my local printer. Using the CUPS menu
8 >>>> did not rectify the problem. When I rebooted, the machine wouldn't
9 >>>> start X and the mouse wouldn't work. Rebooting again, I used the Grub
10 >>>> menu to select an old reliable configuration which allowed me to login
11 >>>> at a command line interface but did allow me to start X.
12 >>> This has been dealt with ad-nauseam on this list over the last few weeks,
13 >>> with many many threads covering these issues (they are very common)
14 >>>
15 >>> Please check the mail archives for the full story in all it's
16 >>> excruciating detail.
17 >> Thank you, Alan, for the pointer. Going to
18 >> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/ and using Firefox's "find"
19 >> facility, I searched for each of the following expressions: udev,
20 >> cryptsetup, host address, distrfiles.shea, filesize, printer, startx,
21 >> mouse. I have not found the threads to which you refer. If you could
22 >> point out a relevant starting point in the archives, I would be very
23 >> grateful.
24 >
25 > Try looking for threads started by user "Dale" and working from there. He's
26 > not alone in his woes, but he's certainly the most vocal. His threads also
27 > tend to stay on-topic, leading to answers instead of natter.
28 >
29 Alan, thanks for calling Dale's contributions to my attention. Going to
30 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/ and using Firefox's "find"
31 facility, I searched for "Dale" on the first 10 pages sorted by thread
32 and the first 10 pages sorted by date. The later goes back to May 31. So
33 far I have not found a thread started by Dale that deals with problems
34 similar to mine. If you could identify a specific thread, I would
35 appreciate it.
36 -John
40 John P. Burkett
41 Department of Economics