From: Ricardo Jesus <ricardo.meb.jesus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 14:56:15
1 Sent from my Android device.
2 On Aug 6, 2012 4:22 PM, "Paul Hartman" <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4
5 > On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > Howdy,
7 > >
8 > > I finally got me a 3Tb drive on the way. Should be here Wednesday. I
9 > > have seen some reviews where it would not work right. I think some of
10 > > it may be BIOS related since some BIOS's don't like drives that large.
11 > > Anyway, I want to test this thing real good to really make sure it is up
12 > > to the task before putting my data on it. It's going to be so much
13 > > data, there is really no way to do back-ups at this point. Come on, 2
14 > > to 3Tbs on 4Gb DVDs. Really? lol Maybe a external drive later on but
15 > > for now, well.
16 > >
17 > > I have heard of bonnie and friends. I also think dd could do some
18 > > testing too. Is there any other way to give this a good work and see if
19 > > it holds up? Oh, helpful hints with Bonnie would be great too. I have
20 > > never used it before. Maybe someone has some test that is really brutal.
21 >
22 > I wouldn't want to torture the drive, but just make sure it works.
23 >
24 > What I do: boot parted magic liveCD, run ATA SECURE ERASE on the drive
25 > (you probably need to suspend and awaken your machine to unlock the
26 > drive, the GUI tool in the liveCD does this for you automatically),
27 > that will do factory reformat/low-level reformat, then run SMART full
28 > test which can take many hours. If it survives both of those, and
29 > doesn't make audible clicking noises in the process, I feel confident
30 > that it is in working order.
31 >
32 > Those steps are more important if I'm testing a used or refurbished
33 > drive, for a new drive you may want to skip the secure erase and only
34 > do the smart test. If SMART test passes then I don't think there's any
35 > reason to run badblocks, but you can have it run during mkfs if you
36 > want reassurance.