From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sniffing / analysis of application / wifi packets on my LAN
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 17:30:48
1 On 7 Oct 2010, at 12:28, Jake Moe wrote:
2 > ...
3 > As far as I'm aware, Wireshark is the standard for packet capture and
4 > analysis. ...
5 >
6 > As far as CLI tools go, sorry, I'm not sure what's available. Never had
7 > a need to look into those.
8
9 So Wireshark is a GUI tool?
10
11 I thought I'd used it in CLI mode (USE="-gtk"???), but it was a long time ago, so maybe I'm mistaken.
12
13 Many thanks also to William & Mick. Yes, I did mean "promiscuous mode", sorry. I'm sure I'll have more comments once I've had a chance to have a crack at it. I'm planning on using a laptop with a cardbus wifi card, and I realised it had last been used and updated 2 years ago, so I'm (still) in the middle of reinstalling at the moment.
14
15 Stroller.