From: CapSel <capsel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIG reiserfs problem
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 17:23:25
1 I wrote five because I started to count 5 times ago. My RAM is in good
2 condition :) Problem with reiserfs (reiser4 is used across the net to
3 specify version 4.X IMHO) occurs on many machines - servers, backup servers
4 (rsync once a day), desktop computers (3 or 4), laptop (only one).
5 Every one of them was tested and works with ext3 (but it has limit of
6 subdirs), every one of them works fine under UFS2 (freebsd, limit of dirs,
7 too). Some of those servers work hard with mysql,php,apache (more than 2000
8 queries per second) and errors occurs randomly... 1 per week.
9 Backup servers doesn't do very much - only one rsync process at a time and
10 this is enough to break reiserfs.
11
12 To resume:
13 1. reiserfs breaks down on power failures even with option data=journal or
14 sync
15 2. reiserfs breaks down on every machine that I have - from pentium-mmx to
16 Core2Duo, about 10 machines
17 3. reiserfs breaks down on heavy load (/proc/loadavg=35), and low load(=0.1),
18 *it only takes a time*
19 4. reiserfs broke down on all partitions that was using reiserfs
20 5. reiserfs breaks down on 2.4.21+ and some older
21 6. reiserfs breaks down on 2.6.17, ..18 and older that I can't remember
22 7. ram, disks, cables was tested, changed, and problem stays
23 8. ...sata, ata/pata
24 9. maybe those are just accidents but they occur too often to call them just
25 accidents
26
27 Conclusions:
28 1. UPS will not help you with reiserfs
29 2. Do not use reiserfs on production systems
30 3. "quite stable" means "works for them, not for me".
31 4. journal only slows things down and does not preserve any consistency
32
33 My questions:
34 1. Is there the file system that preserves data & metadata like UFS2 ????
35 "solid as rock!"
36 2. What options do I need to enable (mount/mkfs) for XFS or JFS to enable
37 FULL journaling?
38 3. How to bypass limit od 32000 dirs on ext3?
39 4. Is there an option in kernel and how to enable it to sync on Oops and
40 reboot?
41