From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:34:28
1 On Wednesday 23 August 2006 09:43, Alan Mckinnon wrote:
2 > I believe the gcc ebuild does do a bootstrap compile, which does imply
3 > that emerge -e system is redundant.
4 >
5 > But, we had a huge long rambling thread on this point recently which I'd
6 > rather not rehash again :-) and IIRC the general consensus was that
7 > 'emerge -e system ; emerge -e world' was the way to go, for reasons
8 > broader than just gcc. I forget the details, maybe we should both check
9 > the archives.
10
11 Back then we were speaking of a gcc upgrade in which case Richard doesn't
12 disagree with the emerge -e system step which is also mentioned in [1]. We
13 were definitely NOT talking about a minor modification of CFLAGS between -Os
14 and -O3! That's where you're wrong.
15
16 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
19 Bo Andresen