From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 23:35:18
1 On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > I don’t really care about performance. It’s a simple media archive powered
4 > by the cheapest Haswell Celeron I could get (with 16 Gigs of ECC RAM though
5 > ^^). Sorry if I more or less stole the thread, but this is almost the same
6 > topic. I could use a nudge in either direction. My workplace’s storage
7 > comprises many 2× mirrors, but I am not a company and I am capped at four
8 > bays.
9 >
10 > So, Do you have any input for me before I fetch the dice?
13 IMO the cost savings for parity RAID trumps everything unless money
14 just isn't a factor.
15
16 Now, with ZFS it is frustrating because arrays are relatively
17 inflexible when it comes to expansion, though that applies to all
18 types of arrays. That is one major advantage of btrfs (and mdadm) over
19 zfs. I hear they're working on that, but in general there are a lot
20 of things in zfs that are more static compared to btrfs.
23 Rich