From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about to give up on systemd and gnome
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 12:34:13
1 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 25 May 2014 08:02:49 -0400
4 > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >
6 > > More information, I am not sure if the autostart stuff works at all
7 > > for orca, but definitely if I hit super-alt-s it does start, but
8 > > speech is not there, but I can see the process, but I will play some
9 > > more.
10 >
11 > Not sure if it needs it; but you might need app-accessibility/festival
12 > for this to work, as well as set up the daemon (systemctl start/enable).
13 >
14 > IIRC there are segfaults about that in your log; they are there by
15 > default, since festival is an optional run-time dependency, but GNOME
16 > tries to initialize it regardless of whether you have it or not.
17 >
18 > (Festival is a Text to Speech engine)
19
20 Orca no longer uses festival, it uses speech-dispatcher. I may have
21 festival installed, but it may be old or something. My problem seems to
22 be that orca speech does not work while starting from gdm, but works
23 from a regular gnome session using my regular user. I think we are down
24 to something like that now. I will check on the orca list and see if
25 they can tell me anything as well.
30 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
31 How do
32 you spend it?
33
34 John Covici