From: Roger Mason <rmason@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [WAY OT] GUI programming for Linux (and Windows possibly)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:04:42
1 Mark,
2
3 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > So the main question is what sort of language (and possibly
6 > programming environment) should a complete novice look at to get his
7 > feet wet with GUI programming. I'd like something fairly light -
8 > performance probably won't be a huge problem - that I could run under
9 > Cygwin or maybe compile to run native in Windows should that ever
10 > become useful. For now it's probably a relatively simple Linux app
11 > that I'd likely run once a week on Saturday morning on 15 to 20
12 > databases I collect on Friday night.
13
14 One possibility is R (http://www.r-project.org/). It has very good
15 graphing facilities, can access various database engines, is
16 multi-platform and unless you process immense quantities of data, should
17 be fast enough. There may be people on the R mailing list doing the
18 kind of thing that you want and there may be an add-on package that
19 matches your needs (there are hundreds of add-ons). Lightweight? No,
20 but you don't need to learn all of it, just the bits relevant to your
21 usage. R is in portage.
22
23 Another possibility is Root (http://root.cern.ch/drupal/) but it
24 requires you to program in C++ (but there are Python and Ruby bindings)
25 and is probably a steeper curve to ascend than R. However, Root is
26 capable of processing huge amounts of data quickly -- that is what it
27 was designed for. Anything you can do in R you can do in Root, but you
28 will write more of the application yourself rather than using canned
29 routines. I have seen messages on the Root mailing list from people
30 working with fiscal data. Root is not lightweight, but is _is_ very
31 powerful. Root is in portage.
32
33 I'm sure there are other very capable systems out there, these are two
34 that I use (or have used).
35
36 Cheers,
37 Roger