From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suspend to swap on a diskless host
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 21:56:03
1 On Wed, 23 May 2007 20:56:30 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
3
4 Well, for what it's worth,
5 > Your entire post seems half-assed, and I think you need to think it
6 > through carefully:
7 >
8 > 1. What are you *actually* trying to do? Seems like the fan is loud,
9 > so a) replace the fan with a different one that has
10 > propellers/bearing that don't make a friggin' noise, or b) clean the
11 > thing
12 Yeah, I could buy a nicer fan. I don't want to bother with it though.
13 The fan is clean and well lubricated. The heatsink is low-profile and
14 it requires a lot of airflow -- the fan has to spin fast and it's not
15 going to be silent when it's running, the case is too small and it's
16 a hot-running processor.
17 > 2. It's *diskless* machine. The whole point of swap is to entend
18 > virtual memory to include space on disk. If you don't have a physical
19 > spinning disk platter, what are you going to swap to? tmpfs?
20 NFS. The whole point of swap for me is for efficient use of existing
21 memory. a few megs of swap go a long way keeping the system responsive
22 when the ram gets well loaded.
23 > 3. Who told you you can't swapon to a regular file? 'man swapon' says
24 > otherwise
25 I can do so on the nfs server. The fact that it's on NFS interferes, I
26 guess. The diskless says:
27 | swapon: swapfile has holes
28
29 > 4. It's a p4 cpu you have. Cpu throttling is what reduces cpu
30 > temperatures in that case, and cpufreqd accomplishes that nicely
31
32 > 5. How *exactly* are you going to resume from a loop device? AFAIK
33 > the kernel will unmount such mounts before suspending (but this topic
34 > is in a state of flux as per many recent conversations on lkml)
35 I recently was given a laptop with a work battery, and it doesn't
36 unmount anything when I suspend it to swap. Hans-Werner Hilse explains
37 in his response how one might resume from a remote disk.
38 > I think you really need
39 > emerge cpufreqd
40 > and configure your kernel with the necessary governors etc
41 I have, but unless cpufreqd disagrees with cpufreq-info as far as
42 hardware limits:
43 | slim / # cpufreq-info | grep limits
44 | hardware limits: 2.10 GHz - 2.40 GHz
45 i don't think it's going to do any good. between 2.1 and 2.4 ghz,
46 there's virtually no noticable difference (in performance _or_ temp).
47 I just want to suspend it when it isn't doing anything so it doesn't
48 make any sound but only takes a few seconds to start up.
49
50 So that's kind of what I was thinking.
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list