From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-systemd-only deprecation
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 18:06:55
1 On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Pavel Volkov <negaipub@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Pavel Volkov <negaipub@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> >>
7 >> >> On Sunday 28 July 2013 03:22:02 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
8 >> >> > Therefore, as of today, anyone can have a Gentoo machine with only
9 >> >> > systemd, with no OpenRC installed.
10 >> >>
11 >> >> Really? Bug 373219 is still open.
12 >> >
13 >> >
14 >> > Sorry, I missed your explanation at the end about that one. Ok, thanks for
15 >> > what you've done :)
16 >>
17 >> Mmmh, and I missed this last reply of you.
18 >>
19 >> Anyway, dealing with /etc/init.d/functions.sh is basically trivial.
20 >
21 > But still, we have lots of packages with no systemd units -- shouldn't
22 > they all have a systemd use flag and units to go with it -- basically
23 > anything which has something in /etc/init.d . I was looking for a
24 > sendmail unit and could find nothing, for one example.
25
26 Yeah, we are not even near 100% coverage. However, one of the many
27 advantages of systemd is that a service unit from a distribution
28 usually works as-is or with minimal changes in any other.
29
30 For many basic unit files, you can go to
31
32 https://github.com/vonSchlotzkow/systemd-gentoo-units
33
34 It has a unit file for postfix, for example. If the one you are
35 looking for is not there, you can search in other distributions. If
36 you download the RPM from
37 http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/21317874/dir/fedora_19/com/sendmail-8.14.7-1.fc19.i686.rpm.html,
38 and extract the files with rpm2tarbz2, then you can get the
39 sendmail.service file.
40
41 It will probably need some changes to work with Gentoo, but it should
42 not be difficult.
43
44 When is working, you can send your unit to the package maintainer in
45 Gentoo, and at some point it could be included in the package (like
46 the OpenRC init script).
47
48 That's how we will get 100% coverage, eventually.
49
50 Regards.
51 --
52 Canek Peláez Valdés