From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange [ file
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:31:14
1 On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:26:53 +0000, Hagen Soengen wrote:
2
3 > > I wonder where the differences are. I would've expected that test and
4 > > [ were hardlinks.
5 >
6 > # /usr/bin/[
7 > /usr/bin/[: missing ']'
8 > # /usr/bin/test
9 > <no output>
10 > #
11 >
12 > You see? They cant be the same, because the closing "]" is needed
13 > by /usr/bin[ and not by /usr/bin/test
14
15 It's quite common for a program to change its behaviour according to the
16 name used to run it. For example, zcat and gunzip are links to gzip, yet
17 the three programs behave differently.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Stupid user error. Terminate user (Y/n) ?