From: John Dangler <jdangler@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] USE flags
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 02:31:51
1 The list of possible flags is somewhat overwhelming. And many of them, I
2 wouldn't really know if I need them or not. So far, since I only have the
3 base system running, I'm trying to get everything I want to have sans a
4 graphic environment going, so I'm doing USE="-X" with the system level apps
5 (although I don't know if that's the best plan for something like
6 cdrtools/dvdrtools).
7
8 I did find the defaults (thanks!) and have added those as comments in my
9 make.conf file just for my own reference.
10
11 I figure that the next step (aside from the reading of the online docs) is
12 to get cd tools and anti-virus (clam looks good) running.
13
14 At the point that I think I have everything at this level, I intend to back
15 it up (jic), and then install X, sound, and get a graphical environment
16 running - at least that looks to be the most logical next steps...
17
18 I really appreciate the feedback!!!
19
20 John D
21
22 -----Original Message-----
23 From: Marco Matthies [mailto:marco-ml@×××.net]
24 Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 9:51 PM
25 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
26 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flags
27
28 John Dangler wrote:
29 > I have just installed a basic 2005.1 system (2.6.12-r6) on my laptop. I'm
30 > trying to get my arms around the USE flags. I found a set of 'default'
31 > settings (I think) under /usr/portage/profiles/base/use.defaults . From
32 > what I've read in the gentoo documentation, this seems to be a list of
33 > default USE= flags. What I'd like to try and get to is, a difference
34 > between what's there and the 'total' list, and why would I add others to
35 my
36 > own make.conf file?
37
38 The relevant part in the docs: