From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dracut: mount: special device /dev/disk/by-label/usr does not exist
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 17:01:48
1 On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:05:01 -0600, Jc García wrote:
2
3 > > Another related LVM question. I have some partitions on LVM. If I
4 > > moved the drives to another system, would the new LVMs be found on the
5 > > new system or is there some magic involved to find and get them
6 > > mounted? Example. My /home is on its own LVM partition. If I moved
7 > > the drive that has that on it, would the new system see it or would I
8 > > have to do something to make it see it? I suspect and wouldn't want
9 > > it to mount automatically. I'd just want to be able to see it and
10 > > mount it if needed. Sort of a question I have always wondered about.
11
12 > On my experience as long, as udev and lvm are running on the receiving
13 > system, they should be found and placed for access under /dev, not
14 > mounted automatically.
15
16 Unless there is already a VG on the other system with the same name. LVM
17 doesn't handle VG name clashes, yet some distros still give them generic
18 names.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 ... "I just forgot to increment the counter," Tom said, nonplussed.