From: Bryan Gardiner <bog@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage telling me what it's doing
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 16:39:16
1 > On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 06:43:30 -0500
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > > If it is updates, I do this:
5 > >
6 > > emerge --resume -p | genlop -p
9 Fantastic, thanks, --resume has always seemed like black magic to me
10 (to the point where I do big installs by editing
11 /var/lib/portage/world and emerging world in case something breaks),
12 but it seems simpler than I had thought.
13
14 > > That tells what is left time wise and is faster to since it is working
15 > > off the list already made. Then again, it seems genlop wasn't working
16 > > right the other day. I meant to check into that but forgot about it.
17 > > It seems, if I recall correctly, that if a package has not been compiled
18 > > before, it just spits out a error message. It used to spit out that
19 > > there was 'no info available for package foo' then just show the rest.
20 > > Now, it just pukes on the keyboard and dies.
21 > >
22 > > Progress. It always breaks things. < sighs >
23
24 Hmm, the behaviour for me has always seemed to be: don't count
25 packages that haven't been emerged previously, and if the last package
26 emerge spits out is unknown to genlop, then abort and don't print an
27 estimate. Really annoying.
30 On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 22:41:26 +0800