From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Get off my lawn?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 18:06:25
1 On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Marc Stürmer <mail@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Zitat von Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>:
3 >>
4 >> Lennart claims that the embedded world loves systemd. I suspect that,
5 >> as in other corners of the Linux world, there are lovers and haters of
6 >> systemd.
7 >
8 > Embedded systems also quite often means low on resources, CPU power, memory,
9 > space.
10 >
11 > If you are using hard space constrained systems, the sheer size of systemd
12 > in the file system can be a valid reason not to use it at all.
13 >
14 > So it does depend on the type of embedded system you are looking at.
15
16 Sure. My point was that anyone can claim that systemd is (un)popular
17 in the embedded space.
18
19 Samsung's starting to release Tizen-driven phones, TVs, white goods,
20 etc. Tizen uses systemd and, given the size of Samsung, the number of
21 systemd embedded devices is going to skyrocket in the next few years.
22 Samsung wouldn't have chosen systemd for Tizen if it were too resource
23 hungry for its use case.
24
25 There might be devices where systemd's too fat to be wedged in but
26 it's unfortunately going to be difficult to know whether this is
27 really the case or whether that determination's shaded by an
28 anti-systemd bias. :(