From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Disappointing USB3 performance
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:46:20
1 On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 1:28 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I just bought an add-on USB3 adapter and outboard USB3/sata docking
3 > station, and I've been comparing the performance with my old e-sata
4 > outboard docking station.  Not so good :(
5 >
6 > After getting some unreliable results with hdparm, I settled on
7 > copying one 3GB file from one partition of the outboard drive to
8 > another partition of the same drive.  These results are highly
9 > reproducible, and favor e-sata over USB3 by a large margin.
10 >
11 > Over at least six trials on each docking station I consistently
12 > get 105 seconds for USB and 84 seconds for e-sata, a 5:4 ratio
13 > in favor of e-sata.
14 >
15 > I used the same hard disk and the same pci-e slot in the same
16 > minimally-loaded machine for all the runs, and got very consistent
17 > results every time.
18 >
19 > Basically, the USB3/sata docking station gets the same throughput as
20 > the older sata 1 drives connected to the onboard pci sata controller,
21 > which is still pretty respectable for an outboard drive, I think.
22 >
23 > So, has anyone out there done similar tests on USB3 drives yet?
24
25 I have not; I don't have a system with USB3 yet.
26
27 As far as USB3 goes, I'm more curious about host-host networking
28 performance. Anyone played with that? If it's reasonably reliable, I
29 could see 3-4 USB3 ports on three machines acting as a poor-man's
30 high-performance, one-hop many-many mesh network, potentially good for
31 network-synchronized block devices. I find Intel's Thunderbolt
32 interesting for similar reasons.
36 :wq