From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] news 2021-01-30-display-manager-init -- blocked package
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 19:11:17
1 On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 1:53 PM antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 31/01/2021 19:20, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 11:01 PM Kusoneko <kusoneko@××××××××.moe> wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> It states that starting the next xorg-server version, ...
7 > >>
8 > >> ... Doing the required update is currently impossible.
9 > >>
10 > >> I am definitely not gonna remember about this
11 > >> in a week or 2 so I'd like to deal with whatever
12 > >> this issue is asap. Is there any way to do this?
13 > >
14 > > You hit on the issue. You can either wait and not have to mess with
15 > > much, or you can force things using keywords as Jacques suggested, and
16 > > then if you want to go back to stable do more work later to transition
17 > > back.
18 > >
19 > Is there a way to say "install this version from ~ if it's more recent
20 > than stable"? That way, as stable catches up and overtakes ~, it reverts
21 > back to stable without any further intervention?
22
23 When I'm in this sort of situation I tend to stick range atoms in
24 package.accept_keywords.
25
26 For example, if foo-1.2.3 is stable, and foo-1.3.1 is unstable and I
27 need it for a while, I'll stick this in package.accept_keywords:
28 <foo-1.4
29
30 That lets me get updates to the foo-1.3.x branch from unstable but
31 will keep me from advancing to 1.4 until it is stable.
32
33 Of course you need to look at the package versioning scheme and be
34 somewhat familiar with how it is being maintained to do this. You
35 don't want to lock yourself into something obsolete and miss critical
36 fixes. I only do this selectively in any case so there is usually a
37 good reason when I do. You can't just do this sort of thing blindly.
40 Rich