From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] {OT} Are "push" backups flawed?
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:56:44
1 A little while ago I set up an automated backup system to back up the
2 data from 3 machines to a backup server. I decided to use a
3 push-style layout where the 3 machines push their data to the backup
4 server. Public SSH keys for the 3 machines are stored on the backup
5 server and restricted to the rdiff-backup command. Each of the 3
6 machines pushes their data to the backup server as a different user
7 and the top directory of each backup is chmod 700 to prevent any of
8 the 3 machines from reading or writing a backup from another machine.
9
10 I've run into a problem with this layout that I can't seem to solve,
11 and I'm wondering if I should switch to a pull-style layout where the
12 backup server pulls data from each of the 3 machines.
13
14 The problem with my current push-style layout is that if one of the 3
15 machines is compromised, the attacker can delete or alter the backup
16 of the compromised machine on the backup server. I can rsync the
17 backups from the backup server to another machine, but if the backups
18 are deleted or altered on the backup server, the rsync'ed copy on the
19 next machine will also be deleted or altered.
20
21 If I run a pull-style layout and the backup server is compromised, the
22 attacker would have root read access to each of the 3 machines, but
23 the attacker would already have access to backups from each of the 3
24 machines stored on the backup server itself so that's not really an
25 issue. I would also have the added inconvenience of using openvpn or
26 ssh -R for my laptop so the backup server can pull from it through any
27 router.
28
29 What do you think guys? Are push-style backups flawed and unacceptable?
30
31 - Grant