From: Nick <gentoo-user@××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] LiveUSB booting a USB harddrive
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 19:07:12
1 Hi there,
2
3 I've been reading the LiveUSB docs at
4 www.gentoo.org/docs/en/liveusb.xml
5
6 Rather than booting a livecd from a USB stick, however, I'd like to
7 do so from a USB Hard Drive. The sensitive thing here is I just want
8 a 1GB partition on this drive as a "rescue" disk of sorts -- the
9 rest of the drive has lots of important data, which I really can't
10 lose.
11
12 So, if I follow the commands at the doc mentioned above, should all
13 work fine? the dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sda (or
14 whatever) is of particular concern, as it's a scary command to run
15 on a disk with non backed-up data on it (no, I currently have no
16 real backup of the disk - 180GB to backup is too expensive for me)
17
18 Thanks in advance,
19
20 Nick
21
22 P.S. Without meaning to sound like a fanboy, I started using Gentoo
23 not so long ago, and it's the best thing ever, far exceeding even
24 sliced bread.
27 GPG Key : www.njw.me.uk/nick.gpg.asc GPG Key ID: 04E4653F
28 GPG Fingerprint: 9732 D7C7 A441 D79E FDF0 94F6 1F48 5674 04E4 653F
29 SIP : 30126547@×××××××××××.uk PSTN: 0560 0030509