From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: webserver reccomendations
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 18:46:55
1 On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 18:27:57 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > Why did you stop using lighttpd?
4 >
5 > I avoided offering much explanation in my previous response because,
6 > well ... I would feel uncomfortable doing so without a pint in my
7 > hand. :-))
8
9 So this is turning into a pub argument about which web server is best? :)
10
11 > All these are good servers for particular use cases. My use case for
12 > the lighttpd was an embedded system with a 266Mhz SoC and 32MB of RAM.
13 > I tried thttpd, lighttpd, apache and nginx on it.
14 >
15 > - lighttpd was heavier on memory usage, although not as bad as apache.
16 >
17 > - nginx was light, fast and full of features.
18 >
19 > - thttpd was very basic but got the job done with relatively low burden
20 > on resources. Slower than ligthttpd.
21 >
22 > - apache just about worked, but brought the little thing to its knees.
23 >
24 > Don't ask me for benchmarks please, because this was done some years
25 > ago. I went with nginx because it was faster and kept the CPU% and
26 > MEM% lowest among competitors. The task in hand was to serve some
27 > simple web pages with MRTG graphs on them.
28
29 Thanks for the explanation, it appears I owe you a pint if you're ever in
30 my neck of the woods...
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 Feminism: the radical notion that women are people.