From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird graphical glitches after world update
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 20:56:27
1 On 21/11/2013 17:10, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > I spent a chunk of yesterday updating world on my machines (2 file
5 > servers and 1 netbook) and with some effort, the updates went through. I
6 > had to go out today so I rebooted my netbook and I started noticing
7 > weird graphical glitches in certain applications, as if parts of the
8 > screen weren't updating, namely in urxvt and emacs. In urxvt, my shell
9 > prompt seems to not render the cursor and often keeps the letters I
10 > remove still on the prompt (only graphically, they aren't actually
11 > there). This is extremely annoying.
12 >
13 > It's also terrible in emacs: cursor sometimes doesn't get rendered and I
14 > get tons of artefacts from different buffers when I switch or from text
15 > I was editing. You can find an example image of such glitches in emacs
16 > at [1]. This is absolutely tragic for me as I spend majority of my time
17 > in emacs. I'd like to note that I'm running emacs in a graphical frame
18 > and not in a terminal.
21 A quick note to say that you are not alone, I get this as well since
22 about 6 weeks ago (a ~amd system). So it's not something you and just
23 you managed to do, I got it as well.
24
25 In my case it's as if the system's idea of what is on the screen is off
26 by one row of pixels. I get a stray row of dots at the top of lines that
27 correspond to the risers of glyphs on the previous line, and new
28 underscores don't show up until I enter a newline.
29
30 This is a mostly KDE system using konsole, so it's not the terminal
31 emulator or editor that's the root cause.
37 > I'm unsure whether this is the case in my other machines as they are
38 > headless and don't even have X.
39 >
40 > The issue is weird however: firefox and thunderbird are fine, they don't
41 > suffer any such glitches. I can also make the glitches go away by
42 > ‘refreshing’ my screen with use of xrandr, such as telling xrandr to
43 > change my settings to what they currently are, which should technically
44 > be a no-op but well, it seems that it does it anyway.
45 >
46 > Oh, I should mention that I did not update my kernel
47 > Linux misaki 3.9.0-rc6 #1 SMP Tue Apr 9 10:51:07 BST 2013 i686 Intel(R)
48 > Core(TM)2 Duo CPU L7700 @ 1.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
49 >
50 > I am truly lost as to how to troubleshoot this. I provide links to some
51 > of my system information below:
52 >
53 > http://fuuzetsu.co.uk/misc/genlop
54 > http://fuuzetsu.co.uk/misc/emergeinfo
55 >
56 > Please feel free to request any information. I hope someone can aid me
57 > as this basically renders my shell and emacs useless and they are the
58 > two things I absolutely need. Even getting my logs was difficult with
59 > such broken setup.
60 >
61 > Thanks.
62 >