From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD configuration
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 16:10:10
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Luis Gustavo Vilela de Oliveira writes:
3 >
4 >> Well, with 8Gb RAM, i recommend use tmpfs on PORTAGE_TMPDIR, just while
5 >> u are compiling anything.
6 >> Or even with 6Gb too.
7 >
8 > I have 16 GB, with 8GB for $PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs. There were issues
9 > with some packages having not enough space, so I have this in
10 > /etc/portage/package.env:
11 >
12 > app-office/libreoffice notmpfs.conf
13 > dev-java/icedtea notmpfs.conf
14 > games-fps/alienarena notmpfs.conf
15 > games-fps/worldofpadman notmpfs.conf
16 > games-sports/vdrift notmpfs.conf
17 > mail-client/thunderbird notmpfs.conf
18 > www-client/firefox notmpfs.conf
19 >
20 > /etc/portage/env.d/notmpfs.conf has this entry, changing
21 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR to real HDD space:
22 >
23 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/portage/tmp
24 >
25 > Most of these packages compile with 8 GB of space, but not with
26 > parallel merges, like when Thunderbird and Firefox are both being
27 > built at the same time.
28 >
29 > Alex
33 I used to have trouble with LOo but a few versions ago, that stopped.
34 It now compiles with 8Gbs of tmpfs. You may want to try removing it and
35 see if you get the same results. I have also never had trouble with
36 Firefox or icedtea but don't think I have the others installed.
37
38 Just a thought.
39
40 Dale
41
45 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!