From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [offtopic] dual boot Windows 11 / Linux
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:00:07
1 On 10/04/2022 12:14, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have purchased a new Laptop with Windows 11 pre-installed.
5 > I have managed to do (so far)
6 >
7 > - shrink the Windows partition (from within Windows since it's encrypted)
8 > - turned off secure boot to be able to boot a Linux rescue system from USB
9 > - created new partitions (boot, root and home)
10 > - copied a gentoo system from a similar laptop onto the root partition
11 > - reinstalled grub2 (after doing chroot)
12 >
13 > My problem now is that I can't select the Gentoo partition within BIOS
14 > since this partition isn't offered as a boot option.
15 >
16 Because, as Windows is installed, BIUS isn't an option?
17
18 Look at UEFI boot. You can install grub into UEFI, but probably not here
19 because Windows will have given you pretty much no space. If you can get
20 the kernel and initramfs into the UEFI partition you should hopefully be
21 okay. Your problem will be squeezing ANYthing into the space Windows has
22 left.
23
24 As for helping you do it, sorry I haven't. My two laptops that came with
25 linux, one I've added Windows, the other I have yet to configure. The
26 one that came with Windows still has no linux ...
27
28 Cheers,
29 Wol