From: Dmitry Mashkovskiy <smash-lists@×××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Issues with Gentoo & WinXP dualboot setup
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 05:08:10
1 Hello,
2
3 I've successfully set up Gentoo on the machine with ABIT IS7 motherboard
4 and two SATA disks (integrated controller on ICH5 chipset, I guess). The
5 first one is Seagate (Ch2 M. (master?) in BIOS) with WinXP, the second
6 is Maxtor (Ch3 M. in BIOS) with Gentoo and GRUB in MBR. One problem is
7 that I cannot boot in Windows while booting with GRUB. Here is my grub.conf:
8 -------------
9 default 0
10 timeout 10
11
12 title=Windows XP
13 rootnoverify (hd1,0)
14 makeactive
15 chainloader +1
16
17 title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.12-r6
18 root (hd0,0)
19 kernel /kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/sdb3 irqpoll
20 -------------
21 I get only
22
23 Booting 'Windows XP'
24 rootnoverify (hd1,0)
25 makeactive
26 chainloader +1
27
28 and then machine hangs. So I have to set Seagate drive as a boot device
29 in BIOS in order to boot Windows. How can I work it out? Should I
30 install GRUB in the MBR of Windows disk?
31 Another problem is that sometimes machine freezes or falls in kernel
32 panic while booting Gentoo (usually on probing ATA devices). I suppose
33 it may be due to buggy/broken hardware but it would be nice to find some
34 solution or workaround.
37 Thanks in advance,
38 D.
39 --