From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ata6: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x4000000 action 0xe frozen
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 14:31:17
1 On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 10:51:56AM +0300, Thanasis wrote:
2 >
3 > I keep the cable connected to both the motherboard's sata port and to
4 > the external eSata disk enclosure.
5
6 The _only_ time that I am _certain_ I've received that particular error is in
7 a very similar case. My workstation has 2 SATA cables plugged to the
8 motherboard and hanging out of it. Both of them have given such errors before.
9 Internal SATA connectors are a poor design; external (eSATA) is much better.
10 And sometimes one cable works and not the other.
11
12 > I noticed that the cable indeed needed reseating, but on the other hand,
13 > the external disk had *not* been powered on since last reboot, i.e.
14 > before these "errors or warnings" in dmesg had appeared.
15 >
16 > FWIW, after reseating the cable, I powered the external disk on, run a
17 > forced fsck on it, and no errors where reported.
18
19 That might not have been necessary, because according to the error the device
20 was disconnected. Glad you have solved your issue.
21
22 In order to test/fix/backup/use external drives I'm thinking of purchasing a
23 SATA to eSATA Slot Plate Bracket
24 http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-eSATA-Plate-Bracket-ESATAPLATE2/dp/B000NPKGH4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375365716&sr=1-2&keywords=SATA+to+eSATA+Slot+Plate+Bracket
25 and an eSATA enclosure, something like this
26 http://www.sabrent.com/category/hard-drive-enclosures/ECS-STU35K/
27 --
28 Happy Penguin Computers >')
29 126 Fenco Drive ( \
30 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
32 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
33 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
34
35 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
36 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
37 A: Top-posting.
38 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
39
40 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting