From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why you've chosen your desktop environment? (no war !)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:39:06
1 On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 6:04 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 18 Aug 2014 09:20:17 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> On Sunday 17 August 2014 23:09:24 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >> > Take kparts and kioslaves. KDE treats as much as possible as some sort
5 >> > of plugin that all KDE apps can share. This gives the user a fantastic
6 >> > degree of abstraction because anything that represents data can be a
7 >> > kpart. NFS mounts, smb shares, ssh, some weird random new thing - all of
8 >> > them show up in the file manager. Drag and drop works because of this.
9 >>
10 >> ...and I've just noticed these two:
11 >>
12 >> [N] kde-misc/akonadi-google (~20131213(4)): Google services integration in
13 >> Akonadi [N] kde-misc/krunner-googletranslate (~0.1(4)): Krunner plug-in
14 >> for Google translate service
15 >>
16 >> They could turn out to be a magic wand, or conversely give you the
17 >> colly-wobbles. Has anyone here tried either of them?
18 >
19 > A user asked for their Google Calendar to be synchronised with
20 > Korganizer/Kontact and ISTR I enabled USE="google" in kde-base/kdepim-runtime,
21 > which I think pulled in kde-misc/akonadi-google.
22 >
23 > A few months ago Google were using DAV for this purpose, but they decided to
24 > change their API. As a result older =< 4.4.11.1-r2 KDEPIM versions broke and
25 > one had to move to the current versions of KDEPIM in order to use Google
26 > Calendar integration.
27
28 My problem with KDE and Google is that it seems like it doesn't work
29 with application-specific passwords - or at least it didn't use to
30 work with them. As a result I have to use two-factor login every time
31 I log into KDE, which is painful enough that I usually just close the
32 window and have stale data as a result.
33
34 Perhaps this has been fixed.
35
36 Rich