From: Hartmut Figge <h.figge@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] removal of esound
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 02:52:41
1 Greetings,
2
3 'emerge -pv -uDN world' just showed me this:
4
5 !!! The following installed packages are masked:
6 - media-sound/esound-0.2.41::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
7 /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
8 # Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> (04 Jan 2012)
9 # Outdated and unused sound daemon. Why is this still in the tree?
10 # Removal of esd and deps in 30 days.
11 # In exceptional cases, you may use Pulseaudio's esound wrapper.
12
13 Now, installation of esound was necessary for my SeaMonkey to be able to
14 notify of new mail with a custom sound file. I do *not* want pulseaudio,
15 so, do you know of an replacement for esound which could work with
16 SeaMonkey?
17
18 Hartmut
19 --