From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Formating a USB stick
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:15:16
1 On Thursday 08 October 2009, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Donnerstag 08 Oktober 2009, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
4 > > > Am Donnerstag, 8. Oktober 2009 schrieb Mick:
5 > > >> What's the best way to reformat a USB stick? It currently shows this
6 > > >> in
7 > > >
8 > > > I remember from SD cards that formatting them with Linux often was to
9 > > > no avail - Windows wouldn't recognise them, neither with the fs on the
10 > > > device itself, nor with a partition for the fs.
11 > > > So in the end I formatted them in Windows, and all was fine. :-/
12 > >
13 > > With SD cards, often times there are no partitions. So if you create
14 > > proper partitions sometimes it won't read in other devices/computers.
15 > > (in linux terms that means you would format /dev/sda not /dev/sda1)
16 >
17 > I have seen a lot of sd cards - anmd they all had a 'real' table with one
18 > partition - sdX1.
19 >
20 > Except for cards that were removed from devices without shutdown/unmounting
21 > first. In that case linux was not able to find a valid partition table.
22
23 I formatted it using MSWindows. Then checked with sfdisk and fdisk and the
24 same errors (of "partition 1 extends past end of disk" and physical/logical
25 endings mismatch) came up.
26
27 Running parted shows no problems what-so-ever:
28 ====================================
29 Model: Ut163 USB2FlashStorage (scsi)
30 Disk /dev/sda: 1011MB
31 Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
32 Partition Table: msdos
33
34 Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
35 1 32.3kB 1011MB 1011MB primary fat16 boot
37
38 Perhaps parted is more compatible with the MSDOS ways of interpreting disk
39 geometry?
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick