From: Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A question about emerge --info
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:26:33
1 On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> >
7 >> > Good digging around :). So this is a python bug then? Or does portage
8 >> > need
9 >> > to be update for some change that went into python? Actually, is this
10 >> > really
11 >> > even a bug...its just a minor cosmetic problem really.
12 >> >
13 >> One's bug is another's feature.
14 >> libc in uname is honestly WTF but this begs the real question: why
15 >> doesn't portage (emerge and repoman to be specific) simply get the
16 >> output of uname -a ? It's not written in C, you don't have to mess
17 >> around with 5-6 fd's to get the needed data.
18 >>
19 >> And I think that this is both a design bug and a red herring.
20 >>
21 >> By the way, should I make a bug report with a patch to remove this issue?
22 >> Making it selectable via FEATURES requires more digging around in portage.
23 >> --
24 >> Andrey Vul
25 >>
26 >> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
27 >> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
28 >> A: Top-posting.
29 >> Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
32 > Maybe we should ask gentoo-dev? The reason not to use uname -a straight up
33 > is because it forces portage to depend on coreutils. Portage ebuilds
34 > currently do not depend on it unless userland_GNU is enabled. I'm split, I
35 > prefer code to always be as easy as possible, yet I don't like unnecessary
36 > dependencies.
37 >
38 I'm going to try and reverse-engineer uname and make it python-able. I
39 just hope python<->C is much more simple than Java<->C (JNI is a
40 complex, horrible, and ugly piece of bloat).
44 Andrey Vul
45
46 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
47 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
48 A: Top-posting.
49 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?