From: Christoph Eckert <ce@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ADSL confusion after update
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:32:10
1 Hi,
4 I recently did update my machine (didn't do so for a year <mehide> :) .
5
6 It is likely that I messed up some things because I'm still not that
7 familiar with portage/emerge as I should be, but I call this "learning
8 by doing" ;-) .
9
10 Today I'd ask for help concerning adsl.
11
12 My machine automatically connects during boot, and this works great.
13 When I shutdown the machine, I get an error that adsl doesn't seem to
14 run.
15
16 When trying to do an adsl-stop manually, I evenly get this message:
17
18 adsl-stop: No ADSL connection appears to be running
19
20 adsl-status is a bit more verbose:
21
22 adsl-status: Link is down (can't read pppoe PID
23 file /var/run/pppoe.conf-adsl.pid.pppoe)
24
25 And in fact, the file that the script is looking for simply doesn't
26 exist:
27
28 ls /var/run/ | grep adsl
29
30 63-adsl.pid
31 63-adsl.pid.pppd
32 63-adsl.pid.pppoe
33 pppoe.conf-adsl.pid.start
34
35 I checked /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf and found the following lines:
36
37 CF_BASE=`basename $CONFIG`
38 PIDFILE="/var/run/$CF_BASE-adsl.pid"
39
40 It appears to me that adsl-start creates another file that is searched
41 by adsl-status or adsl-stop. But I wonder how this can be fixed?
42
43 I really prefer to be able to kill my adsl connection without shutting
44 down the machine, so any hints (even RTFM) are much appreciated.
47 Best regards
50 ce
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list