From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Running two apaches and MySQLs on the same server
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 23:27:03
1 On Thursday 28 May 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 28 May 2009 21:51:26 Stroller wrote:
3 > > > So I recommend option 4:
4 > > >
5 > > > Pony up the money for server #2
6 > >
7 > > Just for the sake of satanic advocacy, could you indulge me, please?
8 > >
9 > > Let's say Mick is the administrator for all domains in question. He
10 > > decides to run the two sites on different machines, one for
11 > > MickBlog.org and one for MicrophoneShoppe.com. If MickBlog is
12 > > insecure, what makes you think he will administer MicrophoneShoppe any
13 > > more securely?
14 >
15 > I suffer from a healthy dose of paranoia :-)
16
17 Well, it is commonly said that the fact you are paranoid doesn't necessarily
18 mean they are not out to get you!
19
20 > Added to that, my employer is an ISP and not shy with budgets, so a
21 > purchase order for new hardware in a case like this will not raise any
22 > eyebrows. For me, it's a low level of risk high impact scenario and the $
23 > cost is low.
24 >
25 > In a budget-constrained environment, it would obviously work very
26 > differently
27
28 Well, I am in a very cost constrained environment I'm afraid. Good advice
29 given here - I am now thinking that a virtual server is the next stage. Any
30 idea how it would run on a single CPU machine - or must we bite the bullet
31 and go for some multicore monster?
32
33 > And yes, I do indeed not trust php code at all. I've seen the audit results
34 > of too many php projects that were diligently hardened and what it took to
35 > get them from working state to an acceptably secure state.
36
37 I haven't your specific experiences of course, but have read about and seen a
38 few horror stories of cracked phpBB implementations that I know I would not
39 be able to sleep at night ... especially as one of the hosted websites is
40 running some home brew of php+perl.
41
42 Still, at least formally it is weak passwords that are usually blamed for most
43 compromised servers.
44 --
45 Regards,
46 Mick