From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel ucode updates for ME issues?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 04:16:37
1 On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 11:42 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I notice that an update for sys-firmware/intel-microcode just come through
3 > on ~amd64, does that address the ME issues?
6 No. As a sidenote, microcode updates can only remove or patch out
7 functionality. They can't modify functionality in complex ways.
8
9 > http://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-weve-found-severe-bugs-in-secretive-management-engine-affecting-millions/
12 Does anyone have more information on this? Has anything been
13 published? I'm interested in exploiting my own computers so I can
14 control the ME.
15
16 > Or will my NUC need a firmware update?
17
18 It is possible that this can't be fixed. Early versions of ME (at
19 least) had secret Huffman decoding tables designed into the ASIC that
20 were used to decompress the firmware. I am not sure if it is possible
21 to change these.
22
23 Cheers,
24 R0b0t1