From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage no longer in world?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 12:55:29
1 On Sunday, July 31 at 13:31 (+0100), Stroller said:
2
3 > Yeah, I specifically wanted to stave off suggestions of "you should
4 > unmask the ~86 versions of portage, anyway", as I think I saw that
5 > view aired fairly robustly in another thread recently and it's really
6 > not for me.
7 >
8 > I was also quite conscious of this because this seems to be a new
9 > change for me, but most of the users of this list seem to use ~x86 /
10 > ~amd64, so will presumably have encountered this change months ago.
11 >
12 > I googled, but I didn't find this change obviously documented
13 > anywhere. I probably used the wrong keywords, but I'd love to know
14 > where this *is* documented. It seems like the kinda thing that would
15 > be announcing.
16
17 I've not seen anyone on this list suggest switching to unstable as to
18 fix a bug, though admittedly I don't follow all threads and even the
19 ones I do follow I don't follow fully usually as the signal/noise ratio
20 gets pretty bad over time.
21
22 But anyway, this isn't even a bug, just a change of behavior.
23
24 Where were you expecting this "announcement". There usually aren't
25 announcements on gentoo-user.
26
27 However, it is stated in the ChangeLog (which is where you should
28 alwaysb check first ;-). Also, there was a change to how portage
29 handles virtuals, which was also discussed some weeks ago. But it may
30 not have been done in stable then.
31
32 They also removed flex, bison, and other things from the system profile.
33 This has broken a few ebuilds (I think I created at least 3 bugs
34 myself). Again, there wasn't an "announcement" AFAIK, you just have to
35 check the ChangeLogs and bugzilla.
36
37 Anyway I don't think they "announce" every change they make to portage,
38 but they do seem to appear in the ChangeLogs.
39
40 -a