From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] State of ATi drivers in Linux
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:20:23
1 Hello all,
2
3 I am contemplating building a new computer with an AMD/ATi graphics
4 card. I've been following the subject of ATi driver quality in linux for
5 a while, but I realize that the experiences I read on Google search
6 results are, shall we say, biased, as many people who have perfectly
7 working cards don't go out and comment on how great their drivers are.
8
9 So, do any of you have newer (HD series) AMD/ATi graphics cards?
10 What drivers (AMD closed source, or open source) are you using?
11 Are they stable?
12 How is the performance?
13 Any noise issues with your card when it's idle? Under load?
14
15 I'd just like to point out that I have an NVidia 7900GTX right now, and
16 it's been working well for me, but I'd like to upgrade to something with
17 stream processors and little more power. I've heard that NVidia 2D
18 performance under linux suffers greatly if you have an 8000, 9000, or GX
19 series card. Have any of your experienced poor 2D performance since
20 upgrading your NVidia card?
21
22 Thanks,
23 -Hal