From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't paste from selection in gtk-3 apps
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 14:35:02
1 On 2015-09-18, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 >>> echo $DISPLAY returns the same on both desktops.
4 >>
5 >> That is a single X11 screen spread across two physical monitors. It
6 >> will not exhibit the gtk-3 selection bug.
7 >>
8 >> Are you sure you have two desktops and it's not just a single desktop
9 >> that is spread across two monitors? Can you drag a window from one
10 >> monitor to the other? If you can, then it's a single desktop.
11 >
12 > Yes, I can.
13 > When I maximize a window, it's only on 1 screen.
14 >
15 > This is how it seems "right" to me.
16
17 Then by all means continue to use it that way. That's how most people
18 seem to like it.
19
20 > Why would I want it to be different? Eg. windows can't be moved
21 > between screens? I don't see the point of having more than 1 screen
22 > in that case.
23
24 I like having separate screens because the window manager I use
25 (xfwm4) supports multiple virtual workspaces for each screen (4 per
26 screen by default). I find it very useful to be able to flip one
27 screen to a different workspace while leaving the others unaffected.
28 That allows me, for example, to leave email and web-browser up on one
29 screen while switching the other two back and forth between multiple
30 tasks/projects. (I am rarely allowed to work uninterrupted for long
31 periods on a single task.)
32
33 Not being able to move windows between screens is an inconvenience,
34 but for me it's well worth it to get independently switchable virtual
35 workspaces on each screen.
38 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Pardon me, but do you
39 at know what it means to be
40 gmail.com TRULY ONE with your BOOTH!