From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux too damn slow if memory > 3GB
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 00:18:30
1 On 7/28/07, Tim Allingham <deserted@×××××××××××.au> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 09:39 +1000, Tim Allingham wrote:
4 > > I don't actually run 4GB of RAM in any of my intel systems, so I can't
5 > > comment from experience, however my suspicion would be the overhead
6 > > introduced from PAE, which (at least on older kernels) requires some
7 > > processing overhead to utilise. Are you able to try a 64-bit install to
8 > > determine if this is the case?
9 > >
10 > > Regards,
11 > >
12 > > Tim Allingham
13 > > Email:Tim@××××××××××××××××.au
14 >
15 > just to add, this page gives a reasonable explanation of the problems
16 > with 32-bit OS's trying to address large RAM volumes
17 >
18 > http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm
21 That is very very very sad...
22 The fact is I can't use 64bits for now... So let's take one gig out!
23 Thanks for your help!!!!
24
25 Daniel