From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Looking at Sources
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:39:59
1 James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > You seem to be talking about doing a few different things, none of
5 > which is _quite_ what I'd call a code review.
6
7 Well my experience is if you cannot hack the code a little bit,
8 reviews of just reading and using parsing tools, are mostly
9 benign in performing a solid code review.... ymmv.
12 > If you want to work on writing patches for it, then it doesn't make as
13 > much sense.
14
15 Some times code changes rarely. Like minicom. There is no GIT
16 or repository activity that amounts to anything. In general,
17 with active projects, you are right. Much of what I'm doing
18 is cleaning up old, neglected code, that most do not use anymore....
21 > So basically, I'm advising you to check out from upstream's version
22 > control, work on your patching inside the checkout, perform builds,
23 > but don't "make install". Run the test builds from your development
24 > folder (that way you can have $APP-nopatch installed and working
25 > system-wide, and can compare to it while you're testing). Once your
26 > patch is ready, create a local overlay + update the ebuild to apply
27 > your patch. Finally, file those bug reports!
28
29 I have to delete much of your message to use gmane....
32 Anyway, I agree with and like your suggestions. I'm also reading
33 some docs I found on overlays and gentoo development.
34 I guess I'll survey all of the ideas and then mostly use
35 what I'm use to, in a gentoo_ish approach.
36
37 Thanks to you and Paul for posting.
38 Yes, I'll post the patches somewhere. Some may not be
39 appropriate for gentoo mainline.
42 James