From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gnome without PulseAudio?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 02:39:05
1 On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hi there!
3 >
4 > Recently, PulseAudio got installed. Seems like gnome-settings-daemon
5 > version 3 no longer has the pulseaudio use flag, so it wants pulseaudio,
6 > which needs alsa-plugins built with the pulseaudio use flag. I wouldn't
7 > mind using PulseAudio, but ist starts automatically when I play movies,
8 > and I get no sound output in mplayer or VLC. And there are weird side
9 > effects, sometimes playback stops, I have to make it run again by
10 > skipping back and forward. Sometimes videos play much faster than normal.
11
12 Is MPlayer using PulseAudio? Maybe if it did, the problem would go
13 away; I have this in my ~/.mplayer/config:
14
15 ao=pulse
16
17 For sure, VLC has an option to use PA by default also.
18
19 > So I would like to get rid of it. Is this possible? I don't really use
20 > Gnome, but I like to have it to see how it develops. And I wouldn't like
21 > to remove it just because of a sound problem.
22
23 GNOME 3 depends (strongly, I think) on PulseAudio; you don't say which
24 version of GNOME are you using, but in GNOME 2 PA was optional.
25
26 > Maybe the PulseAudio problem is the same as I had with ALSA, I have two
27 > internal cards, and I had to tell ALSA not to prefer the SPDIF one.
28 > Maybe I have to do the same with PulseAudio, but I do not know how.
29
30 Try media-sound/pavucontrol; you can select which card the sounds goes
31 through, and which output to use (HDMI, for example).
32
33 > And
34 > the weird playback effects are spooky, I'd prefer to keep things as they
35 > are, at the moment I'm happy with plain ALSA.
36
37 I don't think it is possible to uninstall completely PA in GNOME 3; I
38 remember it was possible in GNOME 2.
39
40 > And what is starting the pulseaudio process? I can kill it, but it comes
41 > back the next time I run mplayer. Is there a way to just disable it?
42
43 If I recall correctly, the GNOME session manager will keep starting PA
44 if the daemon dies.
45
46 Regards.
47 --