From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: viewing .m4v files with totem
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 17:06:12
1 On 07/08/2010 06:50 PM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > How should I view .m4v files with totem.
3 > Is there a gst-plugin or a use flag for gst-plugins-meta?
4 >
5 > I have used the following, which "works", but the video quality is bad
6 > ffmpeg -i file.m4v file.avi
7 > totem file.avi
8
9 Multimedia file types still confuse me. I believe the codecs for the
10 packaged audio and video are the important thing when converting formats.
11 If the video and audio streams are copied rather than re-encoded, the
12 quality should be maintained regardless of the particular packaging.
13
14 What does "file yourfile.m4v" say? For example:
15
16 #file myfile.mpg
17 myfile.mpg: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 512 x 384, 25.00 fps, video:
18 Microsoft MPEG-4 v3, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (mono, 24000 Hz)
19
20 Totem displays the sample file I used above, so I must have the right
21 codecs installed, but I can't tell you which package they came from.
22
23 What does totem say when you play your m4v file?