From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Drive Crash - Please Help
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:39:11
1 Grant wrote:
2 >> > and the vi command always seg faults. Does that mean the /dev/hda3
3 >> > image is done-for and I should just start the laptop over from scratch
4 >> > and import my /etc/ and /home/ directories when it's re-installed?
5 >>
6 >> I would try putting it all back and re-emerge everything (emerge -vaD
7 >> --emptytree world). It would fix if anything bad happened to the compiled
8 >> things and you could start using the things which survived sooner.
9 >
10 > I tried re-emerging vim from within the chroot and I got:
11 >
12 > /usr/portage/eclass/vim.eclass: line 342: make: command not found
13 >
14 > What do you think?
17 Have you checked the laptop drive? If it is faulty then re-installing is
18 just wasting your time.
19
20 I would recommend checking the drive with smartmontools before going any
21 further. Given the problems outlined above, I would make a package for
22 it on your desktop and do a binary install of the result on the laptop.
23
24 Good luck
25
26 Mark