From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Preparing a blank NVMe as a boot drive...
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 14:26:36
1 On 04/06 03:35, Andrea Conti wrote:
2 > > Then there was something mentioned about namespaces, which should
3 > > be allocated smaller than the physical drive
4 > > Is this really needed - just to boot from this SSD?
5 >
6 > NVMe namespaces are an abstraction layer that allows a controller to present
7 > its connected storage as a number of independent volumes.
8 > Think LVM LVs, or the way a hardware RAID card presents volumes as multiple
9 > SCSI LUNs.
10 >
11 > Your run-of-the-mill NVMe "gumstick" SSD by default will expose all of its
12 > capacity in a single namespace (and I don't even think it can be configured
13 > any other way), so you don't have to worry.
14 >
15 > Just remember that NVMe storage is always accessed through a namespace, so
16 > the equivalent of good old /dev/sda is not /dev/nvme0 (the controller) but
17 > /dev/nvme0n1 (the first namespace on the controller)
18 >
19 > > Or is it sufficient (and harmless for the SSD) to just
20 > > partitioning and format the drive?
21 >
22 > It's not only harmless, it's the way it's supposed to be used.
23 >
24 > Remember that you will need to boot in UEFI mode, so you will need a system
25 > partition (and you really, really want to use GPT). The gentoo handbook has
26 > a good section on UEFI booting.
27 >
28 > > I found some hints regarding page sizes and erase block sizes
29 > > when partitioning the drive.
30 >
31 > I wouldn't bother with that, but you're free to experiment :)
32 >
33 > andrea
36 Hi Andrea,
37
38 yes...as long as other would take the risk I would suggest, they are
39 free to experiment. ;)
40
41 I encountered the next problem...and I will invite you to experiment
42 together with me....
43
44 For my new system I choosed GPT/UEFI.
45
46 I have a MSI Tomahawk MAX motherboard. This offers two boot modes:
47 UEFI
48 UEFI and Legacy
49
50 Since my current system, from which I chroot into my new system is
51 Legacu bootable I choosed the latter as boot mode.
52
53 First (minor) trap:
54 Despite being on a AMD64 system (and grub is installed accordingly)
55 grub-install tries to access /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/, which
56 does not exist. I fixed that quick and dirty with a symlink
57 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 6 15:16 i386-pc -> x86_64-efi
58 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 24576 Apr 6 15:09 x86_64-efi
59
60 Next:
61 Calling
62 grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot
63 results in:
64 Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
65 EFI variables are not supported on this system.
66 EFI variables are not supported on this system.
67 grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: No such file or directory.
68
69 The config of the runnig kernel has set:
70 CONFIG_EFI=y
71 CONFIG_DMI_SCAN_MACHINE_NON_EFI_FALLBACK=y
72 CONFIG_EFI_VARS=y
73 CONFIG_EFI_ESRT=y
74 CONFIG_EFI_RUNTIME_MAP=y
75 CONFIG_EFI_RUNTIME_WRAPPERS=y
76 CONFIG_EFI_TEST=y
77 CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y
78 CONFIG_EFIVAR_FS=y
79
80 Do I miss something here?
81
82 ls -l /sys/firmware
83 gaves me:
84 drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 0 2020-04-06 16:25 acpi
85 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 2020-04-06 16:25 dmi
86 drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 0 2020-04-06 16:25 memmap
87
88 Do I really need an image on an USBstick to boot into UEFI mode
89 just to setup a system to boot into UEFI mode?
90
91 Is there any way around that?
92
93 Cheers!