From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Routine update wants to install 3 version of Ruby + 50 others
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:09:19
1 On Monday 09 Dec 2013 18:29:46 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > My routine more-or-less weekly update suddenly decided that it needed
3 > to install 3 versions of Ruby along with ~50 other ruby-related
4 > packages. This caused a bit of a problem, since those versions of Ruby
5 > can't coexist: (something to do with tk and threads).
6 >
7 > I've never had Ruby installed before, and after some digging around, I
8 > finally tracked it down to two things:
9 >
10 > gnome-terminal->nautilus->webkit->ruby
11 > multipath-tools->thin-provisioning-tools->ruby
12 >
13 > These both seem to be new dependancies.
14 >
15 > After uninstalling gnome-terminal, multipath-tools, and
16 > thin-provisioning-tools all is good (the update proceding sans Ruby).
17 >
18 > I understand that sometimes a maintainer decides to add a feature that
19 > requires some new dependancies, but why three different versions of
20 > Ruby all of a sudden?
21
22 I found the same a few days ago, but didn't have the energy to sort out the
23 mess. Just now I ran:
24
25 $ sudo emerge -c dev-lang/ruby:1.8 dev-lang/ruby:1.9 dev-lang/ruby:2.0 json
26 racc rake rdoc rubygems thin-provisioning-tools =virtual/rubygems-1
27 =virtual/rubygems-4 =virtual/rubygems-6
28
29 I'll reboot now and see if lvm2 can still mount my LVM partitions since I
30 recompiled it without thin :-)
31
32 (Later: it can!)
35 Regards