From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multilib help
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 09:37:44
1 On Wednesday, 4 July 2018 10:21:16 BST Zoltán Kócsi wrote:
2 > On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 09:25:41 +0200
3 >
4 > Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > [...]
6 > > An example: I have a file /etc/portage/package.use/abix86 where I put
7 > > lines like these for packages I need installed in a 32-bit flavour (in
8 > > addition to the 64-bit my normal system uses):
9 > >
10 > > dev-db/sqlite abi_x86_32
11 > > dev-libs/glib abi_x86_32
12 > > etc...
13 >
14 > Brilliant! Works like a charm.
15 >
16 > Now if someone could just tell me what to read so I understand what
17 > I'm doing. Please... I hate it when I don't know what's going on.
18 >
19 > Is there a detailed description on how portage works, what are these
20 > magic directories/files/variables?
21 >
22 > Thanks,
23 >
24 > Zoltan
25
26 The official Gentoo Documentation and Gentoo Wiki are valuable sources of
27 information and provide howto instructions for all sorts of setups.
28
29 For Portage I'd recommend you start from here:
30
31 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/Portage
32
33 then delve into more areas by navigating to them from the menu list on the
34 right titled "Working with Gentoo" and "Working with Portage".
35
36 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page
39 Regards,
40 Mick