From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New project in perl? {OT}
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 17:35:40
1 >> I'm sorry this is OT but I really value the opinion of many people
2 >> subscribed to this list.
3 >>
4 >> I'm starting a new project that is quite straightforward and will
5 >> interface with an old project.  The only point of contact between the
6 >> two projects might be both of them having access to the same database
7 >> table.  The old project is written in a language that is related to
8 >> perl so I can imagine there would be some benefit to using perl for
9 >> the new project.  Am I foolish to start a new project in perl at this
10 >> stage in its lifecycle?  I won't be doing the coding myself and I
11 >> wonder if I would be better off with PHP since more coders seem to be
12 >> familiar with PHP than perl.
13 >
14 >        In '99 I worked with a fellow who styled himself a software
15 > architect. The first step of each project he managed involved stating "We
16 > will write this software in Java." As you can imagine that's sorta
17 > backwards. I'd spec the software function, features, etc and then decide
18 > which language has better tools or command of the problem space. You will
19 > have to balance that against your knowledge of the language and the
20 > developer skills you have access to. However even the exercise of deciding
21 > "Python appears to be the superior language in this problem space, but we're
22 > going to go with Perl because the database module for our db already exists
23 > and is much more mature. Bob knows Perl better too." is worth doing because
24 > it helps define the scope of the project.
25 >        FWIW the current startup I'm at is using Ruby for the front end and
26 > it's been a bit more work that PHP which is what the last company used.
27 > That's partly Rails immaturity, our lack of experience with Ruby, and having
28 > to learn the Rails/Ruby way. Unless the language you're familiar with is
29 > completely unsuitable, I'd say familiarity trumps language features. YMMV.
30 >
31 > kashani
32
33 Thanks to everyone. I really love this list (and this distro). I'll
34 stick with perl.
35
36 - Grant